Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Home Movies: A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)




I try, even though there's no way to stop it, I'm getting older.  One of the few upsides to getting older is having been there in a lot of "you had to be there eras".  I was there for A Nightmare on Elm Street and the subsequent Freddy mania.  I did not watch this in the theatres but I watched it in home media, which reports that the movie was released on VHS in "early 1985". The crazy thing was that I didn't need to watch it to know all about Freddy. His glove with the blades, his "Christmas sweater", and that he killed you in your dreams.  Everyone was talking about the movie. Was I eight years old, or nine? I don't know. What I do know is I watched A Nightmare on Elm Street and I LOVED it. Hell, everyone did, and this was before Freddy started cracking wise.  He was just a force of evil at this point.

What was it about this movie that had me so engrossed?  I was a boy, and I know that I liked things that were tough, mean, scary and evil. It seems logical that I would gravitate towards the entity that was Freddy, although the movie only referred to him as Fred Krueger when the characters spoke about him. The jump rope song was where Freddy was coined. We were all kids so that's what we remembered, the silly song.  There's more to it though, the dream imagery?  Was this a precursor to my liking surrealist art?  It's difficult to pin point but having watched this movie again for the first time in years and still enjoying it says a lot about how well the movie is constructed. I'll be brief with my little reminiscence and critique.

A group of teens, Nancy, Tina, Rod, and Glen, are terrorized in their dreams by a dirty, scarred man with a glove that has blades attached to the fingers. Once the teens begin to die horrifically while asleep, the Nancy discovers that he is Fred Krueger, a child killer murdered by the neighborhood parents years ago. He is getting revenge on the children of those that killed him.



What I couldn't understand at eight or nine is how sexual the movie is and how sex aggressive Freddy's taunts are to the women.  The tongue flicks, the glove between the legs in the bathtub scene, and the "I'm your boyfriend now" taunt.  He's such a bastard, and definitely has issues with women. He doesn't play with his male prey, just kills them. The women he delays gratification by drawing out the chase.  Subconsciously I think I gravitated towards this because I love a good heroine in science fiction and horror story.  Two of my favorite protagonists are Ellen Ripley and Sarah Conner, both would be victims who faced personifications of death and not only survived but flourished because of it. They became symbols of hope, determination, and discipline. Will Nancy Thompson be added to this list? Too early to tell from this first movie. She survived this encounter with Freddy. Didn't she? Maybe? We'll catch up to her down the road.  Many heroes are defined by their villains, and there is no doubt that Freddy is demonic chaos personified.

Another aspect that I gravitate towards is the parents being oblivious of the dangers or being impotent to help.  There's a major component of the movie that deals with ineffective parents and adult role models.  The teacher, the doctor, the police, the parents.  The parents are actually to blame for unleashing the evil upon the children although just as unforeseen circumstances of their vigilantism.  Nancy and the rest have the added obstacles of the parents trying "to do what's right for the kids" and thereby causing more damage than help.  The parents don't realize that they are killing their children with poor parenting.  Another example of this is the movie Kids. Truth be told my fascination with obfuscated or ineffective parents started with the Peanuts newspaper strip.  Omnipresent parents, yet they are never seen nor heard properly. It's fascinating to have the children in their own worlds and the parents are actually sub-villains or obstacles to their goals, which in the case of A Nightmare on Elm Street is survival.



There’s also the questioning of reality and the possible descent into madness that I enjoy. I intended to keep this short and here I am rambling incoherently in a dozen different directions. I like the movie. Sure, some of it is rough and silly, but it retains its charm and horror.  I could go on rambling but I won't. If inclined I'll follow the series by posting more here on the blog.

-Bobgar




A Nightmare on Elm Street  is Written & Directed by: Wes Craven. It stars John Saxon, Ronee Blakley, Heather Langenkamp, Amanda Wyss, Nick Corri, Johnny Depp, and Robert Englund.

No comments:

Post a Comment